Friday, September 3, 2010

Eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarthquake




Had one of the most terrifying experiences in my life this morning at 4.25am when a 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit Christchurch. I woke up to my entire room shaking about a metre left to right, still groggy with sleep. I have never experienced something so frightening, all I could hear were things falling down around me before my boyfriend shook me back to life and we ran outside, in our underwear. It was 2 degrees outside and everything was still shaking. I have never felt so vulnerable or been so close to fearing for my life.

Surprisingly, our house is fine, the only sign that anything went wrong is a burst water tank. In fact, even the books on our bookshelf didn't fall down. As you can see by these photos, the rest of Christchurch didn't fear too well.

There have been aftershocks all day, in fact I can feel one now as I write and apparently there may be another big one tonight. I am so thankful that nobody I know has been hurt and it seems only two people in all of Christchurch have been severally injured and nobody killed (although there is news that perhaps there was a heart attack caused by the event). We have lost power and water for the day but it all seems to be coming right. I am just glad it wasn't worse.

2 comments:

gollygoshgumgoo said...

Big relief to hear you are all OK. Let's hope everything returns to normal soon! Hugs and kisses xxxxx

gollygoshgumgoo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.