Monday, March 29, 2010

Time

Been so stressed today. Just have too much to do and it's all building up.
Watched A Clockwork Orange in class. I have to say I liked it a lot more this time. I think once you get over the shock factor, you can appreciate it for its actual filmistic merits. If that's even a word!

I was reading through my old English essays today. So frustrating! So many of them had so much potential to be fantastic and just fell flat on one thing or another, that in hindsight could be so easily fixed. I guess when I write them, there is only so much time to spend reworking them and rereading them. A fresh mind takes time and perspective.

That's probably one of the most important and hard to find commodities in writing: time.

Here is a poem I have written and rewritten over time:

Am I just a magpie?
Caught by the twinkling in your eye
My thoughts degenerated into an inky blackness
Feathers for brains

I'll claw at you
let go to animal impulses
peck at your brain
to dislodge that thing
called hindsight
and find that you were just
a shimmering thing
no clockwork at all
behind the face

and so I perch here
my chicks unfed
my nest full of glittering things
instead

1 comment:

gollygoshgumgoo said...

Hey Lulu,

I get you! The poem is really magic - you have a gift! I have just done a book cover for a friend at work who has submitted some poems for publishing!

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend.